Thursday, July 16, 2015

Good Reads, maybe?

I finished Orphan Train a couple of days ago.  And honestly, I don't know what I think of it.  I surprised myself and started crying near the end and could not stop.  The whole book was intense for me because much of it was about the sufferings of a child, a girl around Ellie's age who was a passenger on the orphan train and ended up in a bad situation, only to be moved to an even worse one.  The books goes through her life and she ends up being adopted by a very nice family and making a good life for herself.  Later, she is expecting a baby and gets news that her young husband was killed in WWII.  That wasn't when I lost it, emotionally.  I lost it when she had her baby and then gave it up for adoption!   To me, it was not believable that an orphan would have done that.  She did have a very good job for that time and a good support system.  Have any of you read this book?  Maybe you could help me see in a different light. 

For one reason I am thankful I read this book, I was made aware of orphan trains.  I can't even imagine.  I have a hard time whenever there are children suffering.  Here is a photo I found of one, sometimes the children would be on the train for days at time.  


I think to be alone and an orphan is one of the greatest forms of suffering.  

On another note, the read a loud book I finished with the kids was excellent!  We learned a ton about Germany during WWII.  Here is a picture if you want to check it out.  

This is the third novel we have read by Joan Hiatt Harlow and we have loved all three!  

Also, the baby bunny we found died.  I feel awful that we kept it and didn't just leave it alone.  I think I was more upset than the kids.  

So, we learned a lesson...wild animals need to be in nature, not a cage!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment